Friday, May 23, 2014

Food for my soul

Have you heard of that phrase before? Food for my soul.  I think I have a few times before and I've truthfully thought that it doesn't make a lot of sense and I would much rather have physical food. My body and mind have screamed , "Give me bread and butter, cookies and ice cream, or pizza and tacos... Not words or even ideas that are supposed to fill me up. That can't really satisfy me the way food can".


Yesterday, I wrote in my journal four times. I poured out my thoughts little and big on three and a half pages. I carried it around and wrote while my girls were playing outside.  I brought it to the dentist office and was even asked (while I was re-reading verses that I wrote down... I'll share those soon), "So what do you do? What is your job?" by the hygienist cleaning my daughter's teeth. I think I must of been really engrossed in my notebook and there was a lot of writing....

I was probably close to a 2 or 1 on the hunger scale yesterday afternoon.  I was starting to feel less energy and more negative emotions at once. In the waiting room of the dentist office I started writing and trying to understand or have God show me why I was feeling so upset. Here's a peek into my journal:

"I have been feeling really upset today, God. Mad at girls' choices and behavior, disobedience, etc. Why? What lie(s) am I believing? I am angry because I'm being inconvenienced. I'm not able to 'control' them. I repent! God, forgive my selfishness and my unbelief. I don't believe you are great."

Then, God brought to mind the 4Gs. God is GREAT so I don't have to be in control.  I believe He prompted me to look up some verses about how God is great. I grabbed my phone and searched, "verses God is great". Here is what I found...

Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.


I John 3:20 for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.

Psalm 95:3 For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods

Job 36:26 Behold, God is great, and we know him not; the number of his years is unsearchable.


These life giving words pointed me to Jesus. They made my heart grateful. God's words buoyed my spirits and reminded me that God is in control so I don't have to be. Jesus is Lord over all and He runs life best. This feeling and soul comfort was better than the most decadent foods I crave!   

No comments: